1. Discuss the nature and causes of the compensation problem described in the incident.
2. Discuss whether or not merit salary increases are always based on merit.
3. Discuss why Dean Smith had a policy of equal percentage salary increases for all department chairs despite the stated university policy.
4. Discuss what Dean Smith can do to motivate Carl if a large differential pay increase based on performance is out of the question.
5. Discuss the long-range benefits of a true merit program for the department chairs.
Mello, J., Nkomo, S., Fottler, M., & McAfee, R. (2008). Human resource management capstone: 2010 custom edition (6th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
Stewart, G., & Brown, K. (2008). Human Resource Management: 2010 Custom Edition (1st ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
*Please cite references throughout the paper. Must have at least one reference per paragraph and all opinions must also be supported with authority.
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.