1. Write the first thing you think of when you hear/see the following names & what are some of the characteristics and personality traits often associated with each name?:
3.Does someone’s name influence how you interact with them?
4. Comment on the following :
a) Names carry connotations:
Gender – are you a boy or a girl (although someimes gender can’t be determined)
Age – are you old or young
Demographic location – where you were born/grew up
b) Names sway elections
Voters prefer to vote on the basis of the issues or party loyalty BUT undecided voters may be influenced by the candidate name.
c) Names influence teacher expectations
“more common names are regarded as generally more attractive, and they connote more favorable stereotypes. In contrast, the rare and unusual names are deemed less socially attractive and they connote negative stereotypes” (Harari and McDavid).”
Harari and McDavid decided to test out the effects these facts would have on how teachers grade students’ essays by giving a group of eighty experienced teachers eight essays–four written by girls and four by boys–and asking the teachers to mark them. The essays were all of roughly the same quality, and the only identification on them was a first name and a bogus last initial. The boys’ names used were David, Elmer, Hubert, and Michael, and the girls’ names were Adelle, Bertha, Karen, and Lisa. The eight essays were all on different subjects, so Harari and McDavid took the precaution of mixing up the names and essays. In other words, in one teacher’s packet the essay about Tarzan had the name David on it, while in another packet the name David was on the essay about kites.
Before starting their work, the researchers predicted that papers attributed to children with common, popular names would get the higher scores, and among the boys, at least, their prediction was correct. Papers “written” by David got the highest marks, those by Michael the second highest, those by Elmer the third highest, and those by Hubert the lowest. The girls’ papers were ranked somewhat differently than Harari and McDavid had predicted: those by Adelle got the highest marks, followed by papers by Lisa, Karen, and Bertha, in that order. If the prediction had been perfectly accurate, Adelle would have followed Lisa and Karen. However, Harari and McDavid pointed out that the name Adelle has a strong stereotype of “scholarly” associated with it, and this stereotype may have been too strong for teachers to resis as they graded the essays.
In order to make sure that their conclusion about names influencing the teachers’ grading was correct, Harari and McDavid repeated the experiment using eighty undergraduate psychology students as graders. The data from this group showed no pattern whatsoever, and this confirmed the original idea that there was nothing about the essays themselves or the way in which the experiment was conducted that biased the results. Instead, the experienced teachers had developed definite positive attitudes toward children with more popular names over the years, and they unconsciously favored these children as they graded their papers (Harari and McDavid).
The above was taken from http://www.behindthename.com/articles/1.php
After watching the Friends clip answer the following questions:
5. What is Phoebe demonstrating (hint: see the Impact of Language section in your book) in the clip when she changes the way she speaks to try and impress Mike’s parents? Do you think this happens in real life? Give a real life example or another media example (not in the book) that demonstrates the same (or opposite) idea.
After reading the article answer the following question:
6. What surprised you the most from the article?
7. What does this quote mean? “These findings provide evidence that major Internet news outlets place more emphasis on the male sphere of influence than the female sphere, thereby reinforcing the notion that the male standard is the norm in society v/ith females presented as outside of that norm.”
8. React to the findings of this article. What are the implications for women?
(please use my upload article to answer questions 6, 7, 8)
(please watch the link
‘http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbnwDWPkw_I’ to answer question 5)
( for all questions, Do not find any references, only write how you feel)
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.